Changing Name after Divorce


After a divorce, you have the option to change your name back to your maiden name.  Some women prefer to keep their married name so that the last name conforms with that of their children. However, often time, women want to change their name back to their maiden name. If that is the case, you should make sure that you request a restoration back to your maiden name in the divorce petition or response. Secondly, once the final Judgment is written up, make sure that you fill out the section requesting restoration of your maiden name.  Once the Judgment comes back from the court filed and signed by the Judge, you can take the final Judgment to the social security office and have your name changed.

Caveat:  depending in where you go, you may need the Judgment to be certified. Simply ask the court clerk to certify a copy for you.

Any questions you may have about name change or divorcing in Orange County or Los Angeles County, California, please call me. I am here to help.

Releted Posts like this
No Fault Divorce
Taxes and Divorce
Community Property vs. Separate Property