Due to COVID-19, we are providing consultations via PHONE or VIDEO conferencing for your safety and convenience, and we are still able to file documents with the court. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions! 949-735-9266

Guardianship- Petition for Appointment


Anyone qualified to petition for the appointment of a guardian may petition for the appointment of a temporary guardian.  Prob C. Section 2250(a).  Thus, the minor if age 12 or older, his or her spouse, or a relative or “other person on behalf of the minor” may file the petition.  See Prob C Section 1510(a). Usually, the party filing the petition for appointment of a guardian also files the petition for the appointment of the temporary guardian.

Choosing the Proposed Guardian:  Before preparing the petition for appointment of a temporary guardian of the estate or person, make sure you ask a bonding company whether the proposed guardian can qualify for a bond.  If the proposed guardian fails to qualify for a bond, you should petition for the appointment of another individual who is bondable.  This can be another family member, a friend, the public guardian or private professional fiduciary.  Other alternatives if the proposed guardian does not qualify for a bond including placing the guardian’s funds in a blocked account or requesting an order that the letters of temporary guardianship specify that the temporary guardian is not authorized to take possession of money or any other property without a specific court order.

Contact an Orange County Guardianship Lawyer today for help.

Releted Posts like this
Letters of Guardianship
Letters of Guardianship; Prerequisites

Contact Information